Isn't She Lovely, by Lauren Layne

Isn't She Lovely: Flirt New Adult Romance - Lauren Layne

I don't know if it was because I had just finished a wonderful historical fiction novel that the casual style of writing (typical of many NAs) seemed so amateur in comparison, or the line near the beginning

"...she surprises me, letting out a little giggle that reminds me of a rainbow escaping from a mud puddle,"

but I didn't enjoy this as much as I was expecting.

It's amazing how one bad metaphor at the beginning of a story can taint an entire book. When I hit that metaphor I honestly almost threw in the towel as it did not bode well, but I soldiered through.

It is a very fast read - I read the whole thing in one evening, but it was kind of mostly just to get done with it. It kept me occupied for a few hours, but that's about all I can say about it.

The story is about a "goth" girl and a preppy boy who get assigned together for an assignment to write a screenplay and end up living out a real life Pygmalion situation "for the assignment." The plot is pretty predictable from there - they fall in love, but end things because when the girl reverts back to her goth look, the boy is embarrassed to be seen with her. It has a HEA, but the final reconciliation/grand gesture was a liiiiitle too cheesy and I was just like: