The Redemption of Callie & Kayden - Jessica Sorensen **2.5**

Holy angst-fest batman!

Turns out I did not really like the first one enough to move on to the second. But given the huge cliffhanger ending, I really didn't have a choice.

If you thought the first one had angst in it - you ain't seen nothin' yet! The first half of the book showed that we had really only scratched the surface of Kayden's issues in the first one, and of course, Callie's weren't over either. It was...overwhelming. I ended up having to skim and I really just wanted it to end. If I wanted such an in-depth study about cutting, I would read a psychology textbook. I don't mean to sound callous, but for what the book was supposed to be - a work of New Adult fiction - this was just too much. One full book about two such heavy topics as Callie and Kayden represent would have been plenty. But two - over 600 pages - of so much pain and suffering was, again, overwhelming.

The last 30 or 40% got better (as the characters themselves got better/healed), which is why I knocked it up half a star. But this book is an example of why I don't like cliffhangers. I feel liked I was tricked into shelling out another $3.99 or whatever when I really didn't want to and now I am forced to leave a poor review.