World After by Susan Ee

World After  - Susan Ee

I guess I'll start with my favorite part about this one. And of course, it's the dynamic between Raffe and Penryn! Was their banter this funny in this first one? I do not remember it being so freakin' funny! I freakin' loved it!

“Don’t talk. You’ll just spoil my fantasy of rescuing an innocent damsel in distress as soon as you open your mouth.”

“She [Raffe's sword] wasn’t made to be alone.”
“I guess none of us are.”

Our eyes meet and an electric tingle runs through me.
“She missed you,” I say in a whisper.
“Did she?” His voice is a soft caress. His gaze into my eyes is so intense that I swear he sees straight into my soul.
“Yes.” Warmth flushes my cheeks. I… “She thought about you all the time.”
The candlelight flickers a soft glow along his jawline, along his lips. “I hated losing her.” His voice is a low growl. “I hadn’t realized just how attached I’d gotten.”

“I’m revoking your warrior status,”
he says as he watches Clara and her family.
“I had warrior status?”
“For about thirty seconds.”
“What heinous crime did I commit to lose my exalted status?”
“A true warrior would have retrieved her sword first before doing personal business.”
“I’m all about personal business. Every battle I have is personal.”
“Hmm. Good answer. Maybe you’ll eventually regain your status.”
“I won’t hold my breath.”

"I miss the days when females could be ordered around and they'd have no choice."
"Sure that wasn't just a myth? I'm pretty sure nobody ever ordered my mom around - ever."
"You're probably right. The unruliness of the women in your family must go back for generations. You're like a plague upon the land.”

Ah, I could keep going! I mean, there were so many good ones! And this all happened in the last 30% when they had finally met up again. The ending made up for the few kind of slow moments in the first part. That's not to say I wasn't enjoying myself throughout, but there were parts that slowed things down a little for me although I had been enjoying learning more about Raffe through his sword's memories.

Anyway, the other great part of this book was the final battle scene. The fight between Penryn and Burnt may have been THE most kick ass scene EVER!

I don't think I've ever loved a fight scene more!

I'm basically rating this entire book on the last 30%, but I don't care, it was that good and I enjoyed it that much. Susan Ee is a great writer. In the hands of another author I definitely wouldn't enjoy this nearly as much as I did since dystopia/paranormal isn't my usual genre.
Fingers crossed though that there is only one more in this series because I'm not a patient person and I don't like long series.

Notable Quotes:
“Bow down to me Pooky Bear, who has only two other equals in all the worlds.”

“My dad once told me life would get complicated when I grew up. I’m guessing this isn’t what he meant. My mom, on the other hand, agreed with him, and I’m guessing this kind of thing is exactly what she meant.”

"We're going back to high school where our survival instincts are at their finest.”