The Dressmaker: A Novel - Kate Alcott Parts of this book I wanted to give a 2, and others I wanted to give a 4, so I've settled on a 3.

I liked how this was out of my normal reading habits, and I think the author chose an interesting subject matter to focus on, using real testimony from the inquiries. I also liked the general message of the book - sometimes there is no clear right and wrong, no obvious villain and hero. The world is much more gray than black or white and as much as we'd like to place blame, things are not always that convenient. (I should mention, this is basically the exact opposite of the usual books I read - there is always a clear villain, hero and heroine ;))

I don't typically read about this period so I can't say for sure how accurate some of the characters' behaviors were, but (for example) Tess (as a maid) eating with her employer at the Waldorf seems a little far-fetched.

I liked Tess, except when it came to the whole love triangle plot line. I had a hard time understanding her motivations as times and I think it was the writing that caused my confusion. At the end I understand the message that the author was trying to convey - the glamor of one blinded her to her true feelings for the other - but as that plot line unfolded I was a little bewildered as to what Tess was thinking at times.

I understand the focus was supposed to be on the inquires, but I think the author could have spent a little more time on the sinking. It just seemed to happen so fast and then it was over. I couldn't help but keep thinking back to the movie. All of the drama and emotion I felt while watching that was largely absent in this book.