Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold - Ellen O'Connell UPDATE 2/7/13: I've recently come to the conclusion that I can't always tell how much I love a book when I first finish it. I've realized that certain books stick with me for months and months after I've finished reading them though. And for me, that's become the real test of if I really loved a book. So, that is why I am upgrading this book to a 5. Just thinking about the relationship of Colt and Anne now still has the ability to make me swoon and I have already started rereading my favorite parts (which turns out is most of the book).

I have not edited the below review from when I first rated this book a 4.

*****

This would be a 4.5 if it wasn't for all of the grammatical and formatting errors. Please, Ms. O'Connell, have someone edit this! It's a great story, but I lost track of all of the times I had to go back and reread certain sentences because a comma was missing or there was an extra word in a sentence. It seriously detracted from my enjoyment of the story.

That said, it is a beautiful story, and all the more so because it is not your typical "romance." It's a story of two people thrown together in a moment of adversity and how they slowly come to respect and then love each other. And this doesn't happen overnight like so many stories. It's the culmination of months of shared hardship, companionship, growing respect and so much more.

Cord is a wonderful, multi-dimensional character. I don't think I've ever felt such depth from a character in a novel before. Knowing what his personality was like and then hearing more and more about his life growing up, I could completely understand why he was the way that he was. It felt very true to nature.

The story at times is very action-packed, and at others more sedate (i.e. the action centered around the sale of a horse or a horse training). I never found the story slow moving though because it just felt realistic and in keeping with the development of Cord and Anne's relationship. What seemed more out of place to me was the big plot near the end of the book - it felt like something I would be more likely to find in a gothic novel. However, it didn't bother me too much - I still enjoyed it and found the book an entertaining, sweet, moving story of two people coming together.