Keturah and Lord Death - Martine Leavitt Sadly the story itself was only so-so for me. I believe the story was based on another fairy tale and it deals with some very existential ideas about death and here is where the book made up for itself. The writing in these particular parts was truly poetic and moving. For example, as Keturah tells Lord Death a story about himself, she says:

“There are some who come willingly," I said, as if I had not heard him, "not out of love, but out of sickness and sadness and a lack of understanding. He wanted none of them. And so he waited without waiting, and dreamed of what he could not imagine, and performed his terrible work and lived only in the moments out of which eternity is spun, knowing it was hopeless.”

Wow. This is hands down my favorite passage of the book. Here are some other good ones to whet your appetite:

Immediately I was steadied by some force I could not see, and then, as if the coming night clotted into a visible personage, I perceived that Lord Death was beside me.”

“Tell me what it is like to die," I answered.
He dismounted from his horse, looking at me strangely the whole while. "You experience something similar every day," he said softly.
"Yes," I said. "It is like every night when I fall asleep."
"No. It is like every morning when you wake up.”

Passages like these are what made the book worth continuing for and I truly enjoyed reading Leavitt's writing in these instances.