Ross Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall, 1783-1787 (Poldark, #1) - Winston Graham I had some high expectations for this book based on the reviews and whatnot and unfortunately I was a little disappointed.

The story seemed to be as much about the villagers on Ross's estate as Ross himself. And I couldn't help feel that every time the plot got pulled off in the direction of one of these other characters, that the story has just lost its focus. One instance of this was, at the marriage of two of the villagers (which Ross was not at) there was almost an entire chapter dedicated to an argument over a case of gin. It did not add to the story and was not interesting to me. I think it was supposed to be humorous, but it just felt flat. And it brings me to my next point.

Some of the accents were nearly unintelligible. And they often went on forever. There were these big rambling speeches and I would understand the gist, but half of the words were indecipherable. I don't know what accent it was supposed to be, but it just didn't make sense.

However, there was some good descriptive writing, which gives the book some merit, but you can't carry a story on that.