Divergent - Veronica Roth **4.5**

When I started seeing stuff about the Divergent movie and hearing the hype about the book, I knew it would only be a matter of time before I ended up reading this just to see that the big deal was. When I hear enough about these big crazes I usually get curious enough to check it out. It happened with the Twilight series and most recently with the Hunger Games. So anyway, I decided to just give in to fate and bite the bullet. Now, I don’t typically like action/adventure stories. Nor do I usually get into dystopia/science fiction ones. I thought The Hunger Games were okay (I could see what the hype was about) but still not really my cup of tea. So I went into this thinking I would find something of the same. Imagine my happy surprise to find Divergent such an enjoyable read!

No need to rehash the plot here, as I imagine many others already have, but this book probably does have something for everyone. There were great, fully fleshed out characters. Yes, there were many characters that were clearly all good, and others, that were all bad, but then there were so many that were somewhere in the middle that it didn’t feel too dichotomous. And many were unusually interesting characters as well. I was fully engaged watching the evolution of some. Also, it’s been a while since I’ve fallen for a fictional man, but I fell for Four. Hard. For those romance lovers out there, Four is worth reading the book for alone ;)

The whole premise was very interesting and it was fascinating watching it develop. I never wanted to book the book down, as I was intrigued as to what would happen next. Multiple times I read long into the night and had to force myself to put it down.

For a young adult book (or any really actually), there is a fair amount of violence, which, during the training period, did seem a bit too much after a while. But to balance that out, I felt that the author brought it back to the young adult level with the handling of Tris and Four’s relationship, which was a refreshing, and I think realistic, depiction of a 16 year old girl’s sexuality.

All in all, a really fascinating read. I look forward to reading the next one!