Easy - Tammara Webber So with the exception of the first two of the Lux series (contemporary, paranormal) and the first of the Divergent series and Hunger Games (dystopian), I haven't read another book that wasn't historical fiction in a few years I think. And the last thing that wasn't fantasy/paranormal/contemporary? I can't even remember. So basically this was my first foray into a regular contemporary book in I-don't-know-how-long. And after reading this...I think I've been missing out!

What a great book! It was well written, the plot moved the story along and, here's something new for me, I could actually relate to the characters. Not just understand their motives kind of relate, but literally, like I have been in that situation kind of relate (b/c as I said, I read historical fiction almost exclusively). The characters were normal people going to college - navigating school, friends and relationships. This probably won't seem like an epiphany to most, but to me this is almost brand new. I think I can see myself getting into this New Adult genre.

Anyway, I flew through this book in probably about 24 hours - and that's only because I had that annoying 9-5 job eating into most of my reading time ;) There were some great scenes, especially the ending (swoon, much?) I absolutely loved Lucas and I literally envied Jaqueline that that she got to be with him. What do I have to do to get some hot guy unable to keep his eyes off me? Be my knight in shining armor and save me from bad guys? *sigh* Well a girl can dream.

After reading some other reviews here, I noticed some heated dicussion about how the rape theme was handled here and it got me thinking. In the very first scene Jaqueline is attacked and almost raped before being saved by Lucas. Afterward, she decides not to call the cops on him because she's right outside the frat house she left her friends at, there's underage drinking and she 's worried people will be mad at her for ruining the party. I was a little disappointed that this is how the author choose to handle this, but given that rape is one of the least reported crimes, Jacqueline's reaction is actually probably the more true to nature.

This led me to ask myself, is the job of the author only to tell a good, realistic story? Or does the author have a responsibility to be using this platform at their disposal to educate people? As a fellow person, is it everyone's responsibility to raise the level of social discourse and start a conversation?

I gave this a lot of thought and ultimately I could see validity to both sides of the argument. So I have no answer to these questions. What I can say in defense of this book though, is that although Jaqueline originally makes the decision she does, the plot line does come back around and eventually resolve itself. And I think ultimately, the author makes a stronger statement about the issue than if Jacqueline had just called the police in the first place. Instead, by following the path she set for herself Jaqueline is attacked by Buck again and doesn't feel safe. Buck is then eventually successful in raping someone else. Because this happens within the Greek community, there is a great scene where the sorority girls are debating whether to report Buck or handle it internally. The sorority president ends up making a powerful speech about women sticking up for each other, creating a precedent and establishing the boundary line between what is acceptable and what is criminal behavior. And Jaqueline, who feels guilty for not having spoken up sooner, recognizes that she should have. So in the end I would say that the story actually does carry a lesson in it. And it doesn't feel preachy and it doesn't detract from the story as a whole. It's slipped in there and in the end, I think it was even more powerful.